I’m joined today by Arvind Narayanan, an assistant professor at Princeton University, who is an assistant professor at Princeton and an affiliate scholar at Stanford Law School’s Center for Internet and Society.
He’s well know for his work on privacy, security, and de-anonymization, and he’s one of the foremost scholars on privacy and security in cryptocurrency and the blockchain.
In this episode, we cover…
* What led Arvind to become so fascinated with privacy and de-anonymization.
* How the public – and even experts – dramatically underestimate the ability to take “anonymous” data and link it back to identities through relatively simple processes.
* The fragility of privacy.
* The vast amount of data leaks even in cryptocurrencies.
* The limitations of smart contracts.
* Current and potential future societal impacts of blockchain technology.
* Why some technology threats are vastly over-examined and others are ignored.
When the cookie meets the blockchain: Privacy risks of web payments via cryptocurrencies
Arvind on Twitter
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies: A Comprehensive Introduction
An Empirical Analysis of Linkability in the Monero Blockchain
Jeremy Hendon grew up in Georgia, practiced law for a while, and then built several companies - from food manufacturing to magazines to digital events. Jeremy has also developed apps with 500,000+ downloads, co-authored multiple books, had his products featured on national TV, and has lived in 9 different countries over the last 4 years.
S01E12: Smarter Security and Precaution in Cryptocurrency with Thomas France
S01E11: ICOs, FOMO, and the Promise and Hype of Cryptocurrency with Brad Mills
S01E10: The Perils and Promises of Investing in Cryptocurrency with Teddy Wayne
S01E09: Investment, Finance, and Privacy in the Blockchain with Jack Gavigan
S01E08: Investment, Speculation, and The Future of Cryptocurrency with Spencer Bogart
S01E07: The Philosophy and Ethics of Cryptocurrency and the Blockchain with Dmitry Buterin
S01E06: Cryptocurrency - How’d We Get Here and Why Now?
S01E04 - How Cryptocurrency Will Be Used in the Future (Bernard Golden)